Sunday 3 January 2010

My early days in school

One part of my life was spent in Erode of Tamil Nadu where my father had been transferred by Railways when I was hardly 4 or 5 yrs old and my official admission in school was in Erode only.We moved into a small house which normally employees of those days occupied and we never had any constraints of space in the house.
I was admitted in a nearby school where one of the teachers was a friend of my father.Now I know it was not a great school to boast of , it was typical school where children sat down on the floor, in one corner a black board and old cloth was used as duster and a stick to control the class on the table and a chair.
This school had only classes up to 5th standard and a small play ground with out balls or any playing instruments.We used to play only Khabadi or any game traditional or we on our own invented.
Our house was nearby from school and 2 or 3 minutes walk ,so we did not carry any lunch box to school, at the stroke of the lunch bell we would come to house and finish our lunch and go back with in 30 minutes.
I was in 1st std and my elder brother was in 2nd standard since he is hardly 1 and1/2 yrs older to me.So all my life I had companion for going to school or college- normal joke of my and brother's friends had been I would catch up with my brother in case he failed once in any year which never happened till our graduations.
I remember I was in 2 nd standard and my brother in 3 rd when a school drama was organised , in 60's only historical dramas were written and played in schools and since my brother was the fairest in the school he was selected to act as an Englishman with the costumes of small coat,tie,cap and other paraphernalia , how we managed to get all these things or school arranged the costumes, i dont remember , but fellow schoolmates started calling him 'vellakara...vellakara..'.Then one drama in which he played the role of a grocery shop fellow, in those days telugu speaking chettiars happened to be the grocery shop owners, he was given the role and he had to talk only telugu which he did since our mother tongue being telugu. Costumes I remember,white dhothi worn in a traditional 'panchkatcham' style without any shirt but with a sacred thread.Dialogue was 'uppu lethu,pappu lethu' meaning 'no salt,no dhall' .

No comments:

Post a Comment